Yeshiva University Torah MiTzion Beit Midrash Zichron Dov
Position: Avreich, August 2018 – July 2020
The mission of Beit Midrash Zichron Dov is to engage, inspire and educate the Jewish community of the Greater Toronto Area. We apply our Torah heritage to the daily lives of modern Jews, through classes, discussions and chavrutot in our home Beit Midrash and in the synagogues, campuses and workplaces of the GTA.
As of August 2018, the Beit Midrash will consist of a Rosh Beit Midrash, a Sgan Rosh Beit Midrash and at least two avreichim. Avreichim will be men of outstanding Torah learning, strong community skills, and a powerful drive to spread love of Torah and inspire Jews throughout Toronto, even as they grow in their own learning and practical experience.
Specific responsibilities of the Avreich:
- Participate in two sedarim per day from Monday through Thursday, and one seder on Sunday and Friday mornings, in our beit midrash at Yeshivat Or Chaim. o Morning seder is devoted to internal learning, led by the Rosh Beit Midrash and Sgan Rosh Beit Midrash, alongside university students and high school students; Afternoon seder is for learning with community members, preparing community shiurim, and offering shiurim and chaburot within Yeshivat Or Chaim and elsewhere.
- Devote at least 1 hour on at least 3 evenings per week for community chavrutot and shiurim.
- Engage in community work under supervision of the Rosh Beit Midrash, including: o Interacting with university students and high school students in our beit midrash; Learning with community chavrutot; Offering regular and one-off shiurim to adult audiences ranging from beginners to musmachim, in shuls, schools, community centres and workplaces, Writing weekly articles for our Toronto Torah publication, Leading chaburot, possibly including a daily afternoon chabura, for Yeshivat Or Chaim students.
- Work creatively, in partnership with the Rosh Beit Midrash, to plan and execute new opportunities for community education.
- Live near a synagogue, where the Avreich will hold a Rabbinic Assistantship. The Avreich will participate in Shabbat and some weekday programming for that synagogue, and develop strong personal relationships in that synagogue community, contributing to his own success and that of the Beit Midrash as a whole.
- Represent the values of Yeshiva University and Torah miTzion positively in the community.
Avreich wives share the mission of our Beit Midrash, and their participation in programming is enthusiastically welcomed but not obligatory. The Beit Midrash prefers candidates who may settle in Toronto at the conclusion of their time with the Beit Midrash, but this is not a requirement of the position.
Compensation for the Avreich
The package for the Avreich includes compensation in the mid-five figures (CAD). The Beit Midrash will endeavour to provide travellers insurance covering emergent situations before government health insurance (OHIP) begins, OHIP, and supplemental health insurance over and above OHIP once OHIP begins. The Beit Midrash will provide a stipend for moving expenses, and legal help with the immigration process. If the Avreich and his wife are not Canadian, it is expected that the Avreich’s wife will receive an automatic open work permit; government restrictions on certain types of work may apply. If qualified, the Avreich’s wife may seek employment in our Beit Midrash’s Women’s Beit Midrash for female university students. The period of an Avreich’s initial contract is two years, with the possibility of extension for a third year.
Avreichim will have diverse opportunities to grow professionally through our partnerships with Yeshivot Bnei Akiva, CHAT, NCSY/Torah High, Bnei Akiva, JLIC at University of Toronto and York University, and the COR, as well as through our shiur and publication opportunities.
The Beit Midrash observes a traditional yeshiva schedule, with breaks in Tishrei and Nisan and a four-week bein hazmanim during the summer. Cosmopolitan Toronto, Canada’s largest city, offers numerous growth opportunities in many directions, with a large and diverse Torah-observant population and all of the amenities.
לפרטים והגשת מועמדות יש לפנות אל: יואב כהן-חדד email@example.com